Park Assist - Vauxhall Adam Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Iv had my Adam now 3 days and I have only got round to having a play with the Park Assist feature.
I was very nervous to start with, so I picked a car park near me that is quiet enough so no one was behind.
I put the Adam in park assist mode, drove along a line of cars (at like 5mph).... beep beep. 'Found a space'.
I then put the car into reverse, hands off the steering wheel and it does all the work (steering). I took it very slow to start with and boy it was the best park iv ever done! The distance between the two cars was the same and it seemed effortless!
The only down fall I would put onto the park assist feature is that you have to find a space with two cars either side. not even two gaps/spaces between two cars etc. or even one space at the beginning of a row then a car. It basically finds that ONE spot in a gap of two and parks.
Well worth feature and I will be using it allot when I park at work as normally there is only one space dotted around.
Anyone else given their park assist ago?

Adam Glam 1.4i (100ps) Saturday White Fever, \"i\'ll be black\" roof. Intellilink, Interior LED, Advance park assist, Winter pack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 10:23 AM

I have and I think 9 times out of 10 it's brilliant - you're right, it is unnerving at first though! That said, I've had my fair share of times it hasn't worked and stranded me half way through getting into particularly slight spaces - it doesn't like it at all if the cars aren't lined up (if one is further away from the kerb than another) and it doesn't appear to like parking on an incline either. Sometimes it just gives up mid-park without an obvious reason. But yes, when it does work it's fantastic, the only downside being that it'll undoubtedly de-skill me now so I haven't got a clue how to park in the future...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc89
The only down fall I would put onto the park assist feature is that you have to find a space with two cars either side. not even two gaps/spaces between two cars etc. or even one space at the beginning of a row then a car.
Why would you use Park Assist in this instance? Surely you can just drive forward into the space?

I think things like Park Assist are dangerous, because it is giving people who struggle to park added confidence in their abilities, then when they are in a car without the system they make a right hash of it. Adaptive cruise is a good idea, blind spot warning is a good idea and satnav is a good idea. Fitting a system which removes a basic skill of driving from a driver is not just a bad idea its reckless.

There is a reason that a parallel park or reverse park into a bay is on the driving test. These are skills we all must have if we are to be left in control of a car.

2014 Adam Jam 1.2 Start/Stop.
Saturday White Fever, one colour.
Urban Pack. Pistonheads Stickers.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:13 PM

Park assist is not about loosing your skills, it's about allowing you to park in places you might not have thought you could've. I highly doubt anyone could just forget how to park. It's like saying you could forget how to drive at 70 because you've been using cruise control for a while. I think it's a good idea but should be used only when necessary.

GONE ADAM JAM 1.2 Purple Fiction, White Two Tone Pack, White Imix seats, Intelilink,Interior Light Pack.
AUDI A1 1.6 SPORT TDI, AMI Screen, Leather Seats, Teak Brown Pearl Paint, Amalfi White Roofline
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 07:59 PM

I didn't get park assist because I didn't want to rely on it. I can see it useful, though, in London and other bigger cities where parking is really hard to find... It tells you a parking space is available when you could have thought "that spot is a bit too small..." saving you another 20 minutes of driving around...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:16 PM

I personally think it's a good feature but it's just not for me!

1.2 Jam. Red \'n\' Roll. Black Mirrors. Black Roof. Parking Sensors. Mud Flaps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Adam Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page