Adam Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 1.4 87ps today for a few hours while the boy was in the garage. Driving around the roads I normally use I didn't really notice that much difference in power. I was expecting quite a big difference but was quite surprised that there wasn't really much in it. I thought it was a bit gruff to be honest and a lot more vocal than my 1.2. It just didn't sit right with me, I much prefer the smoother 1.2 as it seems more rev hungry and is less jerky to drive. I didn't take it on a dual carriageway or motorway so can't comment on how it copes differently (if at all) than the 1.2. All in all it felt a little bit sluggish, probably because I was expecting a huge difference from the 1.2 but didn't get it. I'd expect the 100ps to be a huge difference though!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree, I test drove both before I bought mine and found the 1.2 to be more lively and responsive, especially around town, whereas the 1.4 seemed a bit lumpy and sluggish, certainly not as nice to drive as the 1.2.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Funny how everyone has differing opinions!

I found the 1.2 slow and the 1.4 much better!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Driven both 1.4,1.2 and 87 and 100 bhp.
1.2 feel's slow in 2nd,3rd and runs out of puff at 50 mph,87 bhp 1.4 is much faster to 60 and keeps going all the way up to 110+ (private rd obviously)
and the 100bhp is just same really as 87 but feels slightly quicker in 3rd 4th and hits100+ with ease!!
But neither are great engines,very old tech but do a job,new engines are coming in soon,first in the new 2015 corsa coming january all will be zero tax and the new 3 cylinder turbo sounds promising.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose it depends on what you've been driving previously, I had a ka diesel before adam and a fiat 500 twinair before that and a 1.2 fiat 500 before that. The twinair had great power delivery but shocking fuel consumption, I was lucky to get 40mpg. So I'm used to driving small engined cars. I did at first find adam a bit slow in 2nd gear but it's loosened up a bit now and is more lively. It definitely feels faster than 15 seconds getting to 60mph. I don't agree that it runs out of puff at 50 as I've got to 90 quite easily and he still feels composed and noise levels are fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You wont really notice much of the BHP difference between them, especially between the 87 and 100ps but the increase in torque will be noticeable especially when motorway driving. Not having to change gear to overtake swiftly at 70mph-ish does make a difference I find

·
Registered
431 Posts
My 1.4 100ps is far punchy than my 1.2 twin port corsa. but Im not looking for high speed or quick of the mark or I would of gone for a different car. overall the engine doesn't bother me, the car looks great and its built well.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've had a 1.4 Adam courtesy car for a few days and the difference in power between that and my 1.2 was so tiny it was unreal! The only power difference was that the 1.4 seemed to have little lag when revving hard whereas the 1.2 has quite a bit more lag when accelerating but once it gets the revvs up it feels no different in power to me.I was however mortified at the mpg difference. My 1.2 gets 50mpg average and the 1.4 got just 35mpg! That's ridiculous and that was purely motorway cruising.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Like I said it is the torque difference that is noticeable, more pull lower down the rev range. Doesn't equate to much in the real world though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts