Adam Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!very interested in a Glam spec with the new 1.0 litre 3 cylinder turboengine.Does anyone have any info on timing, cost and power of this engine as I believe it will not be availabe at launch? I've done 80,000 miles on a 3 cylinder Smart and very much enjoy the performance and economy.Also, I'm looking for a leather seat option but have found nothing to date - so info welcomed.Overall, I think the car will be a great success except the marketing is pitched at 20 year old urbanites whilst the reality is they simply don't buy any cars.The real buyer is much older and does not wear silly trousers so I hope they don't try and make it a car for fashion victims.Look forward to any thoughts.Adam (Yes, it is my name!)

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Hi Adam

All I know at the moment is that Vauxhall are planning the three-cylinder turbo, like Ford's 1.0-litre EcoBoost. It should offer around 115bhp along with economy of 60mpg and CO2 emissions under 110g/km.
The official Vauxhall quote is "Later in its life ADAM will also be the first Vauxhall to adopt the new generation small petrol engine featuring direct injection and forced induction plus an all-new six speed gearbox."
Some of the Twisted packs look as if they half leather interior.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I can't find it now but I thought I had read a quote from Vauxhall saying that the car is actually targeted at 30 - 40 somethings as they are the ones that buy cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone got more timing and price news on the 1.0 engine option with the six-speed box?I think GM might face a dilemmaon pricing with this as it may well be both the most economical and powerful engine option (for now), yet can a 1.0 litre 3 cylinderbe positioned in terms of price above a 1.4?I'm going for a Glam in Red with Black roof and leather, not decided on wheels as yet.Any info welcome,Adam T

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
From what I know so far:
It's called the GM Small Gasoline Engine or SGE. It is a family of small-displacement 3-cylinder and 4-cylinder petrol engines ranging from 1.0 L to 1.5 L.
The engines will first debut in the Adam and will be produced in Szentgotthárd, Hungary. The new engine family will spread to other brands and markets by the end of the decade and will replace three separate engine families (S-TEC, Family 0, and Family 1).
The engine will be used in:2014 Opel Adam2014 Chevrolet Sonic2015 Chevrolet Cruze2015 MG 3
The factory in Hungary is new so I'm not sure if it's up and running yet. This article suggests it is:http://www.autoevolution.com/news/opel-opens-500-million-engine-factory-in-hungary-49761.html
I think a year from now we might see it. Just in time for the launch of the new Corsa...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just back from my local dealer to ask for an update on the 3 cylinder model.All a bit frustrating, as I was kept waiting 20 minutes despite having a scheduled appointment, then my contact did not appear but at least the new guy seemed friendly if somewhat uninformed!He knew nothing of the 3 cylinder engine but he did ring a Vauxhall contact who said nothing was confirmed, so he was somewhat surprised when I filled him inon the whole story.I am disappointed that the relationship between the dealer and manufacturer is not exactly co-ordinated - for example, the dealer was very surprised when I said I drove the car 3 months ago.My conclusion is that I may be better off talking to a more informed dealer. I will give them one more chance to be more professional and after that, I think it will have to be a VW Up!Adam

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I've still not heard anything further and I suspect Vauxhalls official line will be they've not confirmed anything yet. I doubt they would want to put off sales of any current engine line ups.
Any particular reason why you are after the 3cyl?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dan,Thanks for the response. To answer our question, why the 3 cylinder?Over the last 8 years, I have done 85,000 miles in a 3 cylinder turbo and it is a cracking little motor offering nippy performance and excellent fuel economy.My thinking with the Adam is to keep it 5+ years by which time fuel will be well over £2 a litre, so the most fuel efficient engine is a must for me.Moreover, as it will be a very light, alloy engine (the Fiesta is not), the handling will benefit from better balance.Despite being only 1.0 litre, the power to weightoutputshould be better than the 1.4. Equally, looking at the equivalent Fiesta, it should be hopefully priced near the 1.2 Adam.All in all, for me, it is the ideal engine for this car (not to mention the 6 speed gearbox) so hopefully I will not have to wait too long for it.Just wish the dealers were a bit more switched on!Later this week, I hope to buy a personalised plate for the car but willsay no moreuntil the deal is done.AdamAdam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts