Adam Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and hoping that you might be able to provide me with some guidance.

My wife had her drivers side wing mirror battered by another car and they have smashed the housing (both the black and the colour matched). Miraculously the internals (glass and motor) have survived. I've ordered replacement parts directly from Vauxhall which come upsprayed (for the colour matched bit). I've done a home spray job on it and it looks okay and I'm now ready to swap over the units.

A quick inspection of the car makes it look like I need to remove both the door card and the upper trim to get to the bolts and wiring plugs that hold, and wire in, the mirror. Has anyone done this job before? If so could they give some guidance as to the steps in the procedure. I've never done anything on an Adam before and am more familiar with kit cars (much less trim!).

Do I need to disconnect the battery to make sure that I don't set off the air bags accidentally?

Normally I'd buy the service/mechanics manual that details the full process the dealer garage would take but I can't find it anywhere online...if anyone can point me to this I'd be very grateful too!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Tim,

Just had exactly the same thing happen to me - sorry I can't help with "how to" but did you manage to replace the unit yourself in the end?

Are you able to share whether you needed to remove the door card and upper trim to access or is there another way? Any tips?

Grateful for any advice.

Lizzie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lizzie,

Sorry to hear about your wing mirror... it's so frustrating!

Yes, I did manage to replace all of the housing, and transfer all of the internals, with only some basic tools and the door card and upper trim do need to come off. Unfortunately, as I was unsure if I was doing it correctly at the time, I didn't take step-by-step pictures like I might if I was doing something on my kit car. However, I'm happy to have a go from memory.

Here's the proof that I managed it :

Forgive me if any of the below is patronizing but if I'm going to write it out I may as well try and include all of the steps. This is for a 2014 Adam... I think the doors were the same from 2012 to 2019.

Tools: You'll need a set of plastic trim removal tools (I used a Am-Tech pc - Car Trim & Body Moulding Removal Set from Euro Car Parts which was around £10). You will also need a set of TorX drivers (the bolts which need to be removed are all star shaped). It's handy to be able to connect these to both a screwdriver and a socket (some of the bolts are quite tight). Sorry I don't recall which specific sizes but there are at lease three different sizes of TorX needed. If it helps I have the Magnusson 1/4" Drive Standard Socket 40 pieces - 3749X set and everything I needed was included in this.

Preparation: The job took me about two hours but it might be sensible to allow for three. For a significant portion of this time it would be really inconvenient to have to move the car... best pick somewhere not in the way! You'll need somewhere that you can fully open the door and it would be best if the ground was level and clean (I spent quite a bit of time on my back under the door!). I did not disconnect the battery on advice from some mechanics I know through the kit car world. I had no problems but I'll leave it up to your judgement as this did make me a little nervous (not as nervous as messing up my missus' radio!). I also moved the mirror as far up and right as possible (so that it's possible to get your fingers behind it) before I started any disassembly.

Step 1 - Remove the door card

The door card is secured by 4 bolts and a series (lots!) of plastic clips. Here is a picture (thank you e-bay!) with the positions of the bolts marked:

Bolt 1 is hidden by a plastic panel that is both clipped and 'glued' in. The glue is a flexible epoxy that can be reused. Using the trim removal tool just feel around the edges of this until you can get the tool under and lever it out. Bolts 2 and 3 are hidden behind another panel. This time just clipped in. Bolt 4 is easily visible on the trailing edge of the door. Once removed put the bolts somewhere safe (I use tupperware) as it's easy to lose them.

The door card will still be firmly attached as it is held in by (lots) of plastic clips. I started on the trailing edge of the door at the bottom by inserting one of the 'crowbar' shaped trim removal tools and levering until I could see where the clips were located. A head torch or similar would have been useful here but I managed. I found it easiest to remove by using two of the crowbar shaped tools one on each side of the clip. It takes some force to get them to pop out. In some cases the clip stayed in the door in others it stayed in the door card. I worked my way along the bottom edge of the door first, then the front edge and then the trailing edge. If I recall the door card also clips to the upper trim piece at the two places where it meets at the top of the door card.

It really does take some force to get all of these clips out and it can be tiring and frustrating! Allow a substantial part of the the 2 hours for this task.

Ebay has some to my rescue again! Here is a picture of the reverse of the door card showing the eight clips (yellow arrows) and two locating tabs (red arrows) that hold on the door card:

Once removed the clips really enjoy clipping back in! Be careful not to press on the door card as you will undo all of your progress (this might have happened to me more than once!).

Once all of the bolts and clips are undone the door card come away by lifting up and then pulling out. It is held on the top edge by a series of spring clips and you have to clear the door lock knob (can't think of a better word for it!). It might be sensible to have something to rest the door card on as the door handle will be attached to the door lock with a cable and therefore you can't put it to one side.

At this point in the process my wife's car looked like this:

You can see the spring clips just under the window. There are four (one had fallen off in this picture). You can also see the cable connecting the door handle and lock.

I'll be honest and say that I removed the door seal too. I did this to create a cleaner working space and be able to see the top trim piece properly. To be honest I'm not sure this is required and it took me ages to put it back on. I'd advise against doing this.

Step two - Remove the upper trim

This is much simpler. The upper trim is held on my two clips one at front and then one at the back. Ebay wasn't that useful but there is a picture here:

Once the two clips are undone the piece just pulls out downwards.

Step 3 - Remove the wing mirror

The wing mirror is held on with two bolts and some wiring. The wiring is easily disconnected at the plug (which is obvious once you remove the top trim). It might need a flat head screwdriver to encourage it to disconnect. Do this first and tuck the wire out of the way.

Each of the two bolts have a washer and there is a real chance that you could lose the bolt, the washer or both inside the door if you were to slip when removing it. I stuffed some foam that I had handy (but you could use a cloth or even paper) into the gap between the front and back of the door so that if something falls it doesn't end up inside the door. This would make a horrible rattle and be a nightmare to recover. These bolts are done up really quite tightly and I needed a socket to get them moving. I don't think I'd have been able to loosen them with just a TorX head on a screwdriver.

Once the wiring is disconnected and the bolts are undone the wing mirror should just pull away from the car.

Step 4 - Swapping the internals

As you'll see on the first picture I put up the colour matched upper section of my wife's wing mirror was quite badly damaged. I could easily get my hands in to get hold of it and pull it off. I did this first to make it easier to see what i was doing.

The first step in swapping over the motor and mirror is removing the mirror. This should be perfectly possible without going to any significant trouble but I found it a nightmare! The mirror is held to the motor with four pairs of clips at 90 degrees to each other. It's very well attached! I really felt I was going to break the mirror if I pulled on it any harder. Given that I was going to throw away everything other than the mirror and motor I decided to cut the housing to give more clearance. It's pretty stout plastic so I had to use a Dremmel:

I've marked where I cut the housing in yellow. If you are cutting take it slowly and don't let the heat build up too much. Plastic is flammable!

I've also just noticed that in the background of this picture you can see the foam I stuffed into the hole to stop the bolt or washer falling into the door (directly behind where the unit connects to the door).

Once I'd cut this piece away it was simple to unclip the mirror. There are two wires (the black and brown in the picture above) that clip onto the mirror to operate the heater. These just pull off. Make a note of which way around they are connected so that you can reattach them correctly when reassembling (I forgot and had to guess... not sure it matter to be honest but best to do it properly).

Once the mirror is out of the way the motor is held on by three bolts around the edge of the motor (the one in the middle can be left alone as it doesn't connect the motor to the housing). I had to improvise a little here as I didn't have a tool slender enough to fit into the holes in the housing. I used a TorX fitting in the bolt and then turned it with a pair of pliers. It was laborious but got the job done. There is also a set of wiring which again disconnects at a plug. Again I'll be honest and the new unit comes with the wiring that runs from the inside of the door to the motor I just cut this to make it easier to undo the plug (I have quite fat fingers and couldn't get my hands in to undo it).

Step 5 - Reassembly

This took less than 15 minutes and really is just the reverse of the above. Everything plugs in, clips or bolts back up quite simply. It's interesting that cars are increasingly engineered to by quick to put together (on the production line) but hard to pull apart!

Plug in the motor, bolt in the motor, attach the heater wires to the mirror, clip on the mirror, clip on the coloured top housing, bolt on the unit to the door, clip on the top trim piece, slide on the door card, reinsert the door card clips (just wack them with the palm of your had), screw back in the door card bolts, and finally clip back in the covers.

There are some fiddly bits (getting the door card clips out and the mirror off) but nothing that would require a mechanic.

I'm dropping you a message as well so check your inbox.

Good luck!

Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts