Adam Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's a week since I picked up my new Adam after trading in my beloved Fiat 500. How has it been so far?
On plus side, I'm absolutely loving it. It's a great little car to drive around. Intellilink is definitely something I would recommend. The call quality on Intellilink is superb. Connection options with my iPod, my iPhone, my Android phones are brilliant. I have an Adam Slam 1.4 (87ps) engine and it's a great engine. And seats are very comfortable.
My disappointment? I am disappointed with mpg figures I'm getting. I did a round trip from West London to Lichfield and I managed 44 mpg, that's with sensible driving, and in city driving in London I'm achieving mid to high 20s. I knew I wasn't going to achieve 64 mpg on motorway, but in 50s would have been ideal, and in city, my Merc SLK is giving just as many mpg in London. Apart from MPG, on motorway there's an annoying rattle from passenger side. So it'll be going back to be checked and I'm sure Vauxhall will take care of it.
Wish list? Well, I am way too jealous of people who have opted for Advanced Park Assist II. I am lazy when it comes to parking and wished I had taken up on that option when I bought the car. Inside it's currently Japan Black interior and I want to jazz it up a little and will be updating that to Silver Universe to compliment I'll be Black with White roof exterior.
My list of useless option? Now I know almost all who have it love it, but in my opinion it has to be Multi-coloured interior lighting. May be it'll grow on me.
Now saying all that, overall I'm absolutely loving the car. It's a great car, fun to drive. Still haven't seen many on the roads, very comfortable seats and driving position is good. Bring on summer.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Your mpg's will improve, my Adam was 6 months old before we went on the motorway and we got into the 50's (I've got the same engine as you too)

·
Registered
38 Posts
We've had ours a week as well so here's my thoughts.
This is a head turning car with such good looks. the Pump up the blue looks stunning with it's pearlescent paint shimmering against sunny blue skies.
Going round a roundabout yesterday and there was a 63 plate Fiat 500 waiting to join and I saw him mouth "There's an ADAM", with that, "should have got one of those" looks on his face.
The car is beautifully finished inside and very well built using quality trim. The Intellink infotainment system is superb and pairs easily with my Nexus 5 Android phone.
The 1.4(87PS) engine is lively and despite some negative "expert reviews" it's certainly no worse than a previous Mini Cooper we had. Around town it's superb, especially with the city power steering mode, but on motorways it does feel as if another gear would be beneficial. The new promised engines with a 6 speed gearbox will probably sort that out.
Talking of gearboxes, it feels a bit notchy going from 1st to 2nd. This is something I've noticed on various new Vauxhalls over the years. Sometimes it changes smoothly and other times it's as if they have only synchromeshed half the 2nd gear.
Steering and suspension are fine although I haven't done a Top Gear reasonably priced car type circuit in it, but there again, that's not what I bought it for.
The boot is small but it's the same for the Mini and Fiat 500. Suits our needs ok but if a big boot is the priority then you go for a different car. Simple.
Minor problems, more design issues really.
Apparently some models have the trip computer display that shows a digital speedo. Ours certainly doesn't. I feel this should be standard on all variants. Probably could be switched on via a software tweak if you know how.
The USB socket in the centre console should have had a light around it. Not easy to find at night without switching interior light on.
Confusion around the Anti-theft system or maybe lack of it. When you are able to configure your car with a million combinations, an optional "Stop the knobs stealing my car system" shouldn't be one of them.
Overall this is a great little car with big looks and as more of them hit the road I feel sales could take off.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I agree re trip computer. The one with all the extra displays only comes with Eco versions.

The coloured led lights help finding the USB. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
alex said:
I agree re trip computer. The one with all the extra displays only comes with Eco versions.

I'll have to get one of those small solar powered LED lights you see in gardens at night and stick it in the console

·
Registered
431 Posts
You can buy from ebay or halfords a 12V cig lighter LED lights (very small) and could clip or stick to the inside of the USB area.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Rob.B said:
alex said:

I'll have to get one of those small solar powered LED lights you see in gardens at night and stick it in the console

Something like this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
jc89 said:
You can buy from ebay or halfords a 12V cig lighter LED lights (very small) and could clip or stick to the inside of the USB area.
Cheers, will have a look for one of those

·
Registered
407 Posts
I llove my Adam I have the 1.2. S/s I get great MPG. I have an alarm on mineEdited by: Tracey.A

·
Registered
53 Posts
One week in I'm still totally in love with AJ. I have a 1.4 (not s/s) and have the digital speedo. Also the alarm is now an optional extra according to the brochures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts