Adam Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fortunate enough to have been the owner of 7 Fiat 500's over the past few years, from the lowly Pop 1.2 to a tuned Abarth 1.4 T-Jet and loved every minute of them.
I have however become slightly bored with them so fancied a change and the need of a new courtesy car prompted the purchase of an Adam, which after driving for a few hundred miles has given me an opportunity to evaluate the two cars. This is not a technical review, just my observations.
My initial thoughts have been how much more "fun" the interior is and even for the basic entry level model, how well equipped too. The 1.2 Pop is very basic, no air con, no cruise which of course the Adam has. I always found the 500 a nice place to be, light, airy and fun - the Adam is a little darker in comparison, but scores higher on the fun and entertainment factors.
In driving, the 68bhp 8v Fiat unit is revvy, but thefuelingisn't right in standard form so suffers flat spots and reduced torque when you need it i.e. it gets bogged down easily, leaving you somewhat concerned if you don't time an overtake perfectly. In the Adam this is less so and delivers a punchy drive when revved hard.
Handling - and this is where the 500 let itself down. The rear end always felt it was controlled by some other being, rather than the driver! In all my 500's I changed the suspension with various options from KW, Vogtland and of course Eibach. This generally cured most of the problems, but the Abarth really crashes on the KW's I have fitted, so not entirely happy with it.
The Adam, has the same problem for me. Push it hard into a bend and the back end can break if the surface is anything other than perfect. I have not looked at altering the setup yet, but will do so to try and cure this.
Fuel consumption on the 1.2 500 and the Adam are very poor - yep, POOR. If you drive the car like Miss Daisy's older and more frail cousin then you can no doubt get some good figures, but if you push it, you drop to mid 30's on the Adam. I get 32mpg on my Abarth and that would improve somewhat if driven at the same speed you can get from the 1.2 - so at the moment not really impressed (however, I only got 37mpg from my Twinair 500 :-D - so there may be a pattern forming...)
Overall though, it may be my tired view of the 500's but I really like the Adam and have driven it with a smile on my face and would choose another over a 500 and have been considering a swap out of my Abarth for a 1.4 100PS Adam.
Would the car be better with a 1.2 Turbo or 1.6 n/a engine, probably, but would that detract away from what the car is? No doubt Vx will bring something out or announce it just as I buy something else lol!
My last question to myself though is.... I am a mid 40's 16 stone shaven headed geezer.....do I look good in a bright green Adam :-D :-D....

·
Registered
187 Posts
A guy from vauxhall did say that they might be making a vxr version which would use the 1.6 turbo out of the corsa vxr. So guessing that would be very nippy and handle well.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
7 - wow you've been through them over the years! Nice littlecomparisonthanks. I found the interior of the 500 a little 'cheap' too and think the Adam tops it on quality feel.
So have you got both the Adam and Abarth at the moment then?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I have an Abarth 500 as well at the moment, thinking of swapping that in for the new RCZ GT though as I need to start doing my own development rather than borrowing a customers one!
I've also got an Alfa 33 1.7 16v (a what say most people here who weren't even born before the last one rusted away lol!!!), a Mazda MX5 1.8 for when the sun's out, a Peugeot 206 1.4HDi SW(for my two dogs) and..... a 4.6 V8 Range Rover just 'cos I always wanted one and its LOUD!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alfanige,

I am on the verge of buying a new car and had decided that I was going for the Fiat 500. That was until I had a go of the Adam this weekend and was surprisingly impressed.
I see that you posted your comments back in May so I was wondering now that you've had the Adam a bit longer, do you still favour it over the 500?

I need some help in making my mind up!
Thanks!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Fiona
Firstly, it really depends on which engine you were looking at getting and then what you use the car for, usual trips, annual mileage etc as both have pros and consAlfanige

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, thanks for getting back to me!
I had a look at the 1.2 Glam at the weekend but wondered whether to consider the 1.4.
I do about 15k miles/year - mostly motorway. So I'm looking for something small that won't guzzle too much petrol, but still put a smile on my face, both when I'm inside and outside of the car!
I've had a look at quite a range of cars but settled on these two. Quite like the sound of the 10 year warranty on the Adam.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, the better of the two cars for that kind of driving is a 500 Lounge, with the 1.3 Multijet diesel. The MJ is a superb engine, very economical and delivers a lot more drivable grunt than the 1.2 engine in either car. You will find the 1.2 not a pleasant car to drive on the motorways, it hasn't get enough mid range torque to get you out of trouble or to safely accelerate up to speed.The 1.4 is OK, but neither that nor the 1.2 are very good on fuel.As you are doing mainly motorway, you wont suffer the Diesel Particulate issues that the 500 would suffer from if driving around town all the time (which is why there isnt a diesel version available of the Adam).Comfort wise, the 500 lounge is far far superior. I find the seats in the Adam offer very poor lower back support, but then that might be just the one I had. This is only evident after an hour behind the wheel.I do like the interior of the Adam, which is what attracted me in the first place, but dont go for the options that you think are cool in the showroom as they get a bit annoying after a while (like the lights in the roof lining!)I wouldnt be fussed about the 10 year warranty there are too many clauses in it and at 15k per annum that would only cover you for 6 1/2 years anyway.I would revist Fiat and ask for a 1.3 Lounge to test for a couple of days. I have had all levels, from Pop to Abarth and the lounge was the best one for longer trips although the I drove the 1.3 Sport to Turin and another trip into the Tyrol all done in a day without complaint!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way, before anyone shoots me, that wasnt an Anti Adam post, it was a reflection of doing many miles in both cars. The Adam is a great little car, I think they are ace, but for what they are, a small fun around town car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, that is certainly a comprehensive review!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I will do as you advise and look into the 500 1.3 diesel. It does sound like the best option for my needs.
Really appreciate your well-informed advice, much more helpful than some of the patronising showroom spiel I endured this weekend!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was the point at which I was told that being a girl I didn't need to know anything about the car's spec, just the fact that “its red and looks like a pretty little tiger”. That's when I got particularly cheesed off!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I do live in North Yorkshire so good call there, may have to make a trip to Knaresborough!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts