Adam Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really struggling to make a final decision between the Adam (buzz light green, white my fire roof) and the fiat 500 (new mint green colour).

They'd both be 1.2 engines, the fiat would be dualogic and have stop start. (I've driven a semi auto for the past 3 years so know what to expect with that although I'm a little concerned about clutch wear and potential problems with actuator which I've had with the car I have now). Not sure whether it's worth getting stop start added on to the Adam or not for the 295 extra.

I think my heart is saying the Adam but it feels like a gamble and my head is saying the fiat is the sensible choice!

I'm getting the impression that the fiat will give me better mpg and also the road tax is a LOT cheaper than the non stop start Adam (approx 30 per year vs 110?) so the fiat will probably be cheaper to run. I drive predominantly in town and then do a monthly motorway journey back to Newcastle from Northamptonshire (maybe 260 miles).
What mpg are people averaging in the 1.2 Adam and does anyone think the stop start is worth it? It is going to be a bit of a learning curve getting used to driving a manual conservatively after so long with an auto!

However I'm a little more concerned about reliability on the fiat although it would be covered by warranty for the time I had it I haven't really got time for trips back and forward to the dealers with problems. That said I've been reading this forum and have seen a lot of niggles with the Adam 'straight out of the shop' such as the wipers and lots of people complaining about soft paint, stone chips and other paint issues. Is this just the flat paint or also the metallic paints that are having problems? I've heard that fiat servicing costs are pretty high though so...

I'll probably keep the car 3 years then trade in, I'm getting it on 3 year PCP, as I think by three years time I'd be looking at something more practical and thinking about starting a family etc. I'd be hoping to get as much equity from it for a trade in deposit as possible so residual values are going to matter to me - it's difficult with the Adam knowing what to expect with there being no depreciation figures. By the end of 3 years the final payment on the car would be just short of 5 grand - do people think there will be much extra in a trade in value at that level?? The car will probably have done a bit less than the 24k miles that the deal was arranged on.

My sensible head would have probably gone with the fiat by now but I saw one outside on the road in bright daylight for the first time and felt like the pastel colour (which I loved inside the dealers in the shade) looked a bit wishy washy and it made me think again :/ I'm just so confused!

Anyone owned both cars and have an opinion? Or any comments on any of the above corners?

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I also went through the Adam vs 500 debate and went with the Adam because you get more for your money and it felt so much better built than the 500. We were swapping my girlfriends old Nissan Micra (the old bubble shape) and the 500 felt a lot like the Micra inside, very tinny and cheap. The Adam feels more upmarket and solid by comparison.
I would suggest going to each dealer a couple of times and having a good feel around each of the cars in different trim levels and go for a few test drives of each to really get a feel for how these cars are built and behave. Then come back to the figures and work it all out based on your situation and needs
Then buy an Adam hehe

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the Adam is a great car. i have had no complaints so far. As for the road tax thing. you will get your first years tax free with the car so the difference is £80 per year. if you are only keeping it for 3 years that is £160 extra on road tax as opposed to £295 to save you the £160. i didn't bother.
I thought the Adam came better equiped than the Fiat and more unique too.

All i can say is go to both dealers and ask for an extended test drive. most dealers do this if you ask. you will get the car for a day with no salesman alongside giving you the chance to test it properly on town roads, motorways etc. They will take a photo copy of your licence for the insurance and give you a full tank. you fill it back up on your return. if they want a sale they will do this.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great idea Pagnellman I forgot about the extended test drives. You could try and book the Adam for one Saturday and the 500 for the next (or vice versa) and do similar tasks with the cars. That should give you an idea of what they are like to live with comparitively.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would always go for the Adam over the Fiat every time. Adam comes with aircon and alloy wheels as standard. Plus Fiats are everywhere ! Adam is a lot more unique x

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I'd get the 500 lounge which comes with air con and alloys as standard. Although it's annoying that you have to pay for front fog lights! Does the Adam have front fog lights? It did put me off that the 500s are all over the roads but I love the new colour and there's not as many of those, seeing more Adams on the roads round here as well lately although obviously not as many as the fiat!

I've spoken to the dealers I've been dealing with, they don't do extended test drives. I've driven them both twice but only for about 15 mins each time. The test drives are so short. They've agreed I can take it out again for half an hour at the weekend and also going to drive the 500 again too... Hopefully it'll then feel like a clearer decision! X

·
Registered
92 Posts
I part-exed my Fiat 500 (TwinAir Lounge) after three years of pleasure and bought Adam (1.4, 87ps, Slam) three months ago.

My honest opinions, I miss my Fiat 500. It's true, Adam is more grown up car, but Fiat 500 was such a fun car to drive. Yes, you'll see fair few on the road, but something about Fiat 500 that just makes you smile and it's still feels trendy. It's also much more economical than Adam and Fiat 500 is cheaper to run. And I found my TwinAir such a responsive car when you put your foot down.

Now I am very happy with my Adam, and am enjoying using it. I like comfort inside the cabin, I like equipement it has. But I'm not getting same pleasure driving Adam on London roads as I used to with my Fiat 500.

Edited by: Londoner

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that, that was really helpful :) I test drove the twinair and definitely found it more responsive and preferred it over the 1.2 but as I'd be getting the dualogic the price for the twinair just seemed a bit too steep when it's already costing the extra 750 got the dualogic, it was about 1500 more for the twinair. Plus the advice I've had is that you only get the benefits if you drive it conservatively. My boyfriend seems to think I race my car about a bit (I don't necessarily agree BUT I can be a bit hard on the pedals, I always seem to be in a rush as have no concept of time!) and the dealer said he thought I'd get very poor mpg in that case.

For me, having driven a semi auto for the past three years which hasn't really been about fun more convenience, I'm expecting to get more fun from the Adam as it's a manual. Edited by: Leanne

·
Registered
92 Posts
For me, with my Fiat 500 TwinAir Manual I used to get around 36mpg in London traffic, and used to get around 55mpg on motorway. I drive to Staffordshire once a month from London.

Currently with my Adam 1.4, 87ps, Slam, I get around 27mpg in London trafiic, and around 46mpg on Motorway for the same journey.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You should have got the 1.2 I can get 50 sometimes with my Adam 1.2s/s

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think it just depends on the type of driving you do. I do a 50 mile round trip a day which is mostly motorway driving and im averaging around 50 odd MPGin my 1.4 (87ps). Iguessas well it depends on what you want the car for.... if you just want a car to get you from A to B, Economic efficiency, Gadgets and Gizmos, speed etc....I think it has to be personal preference.... i would have been much better off if i had got a Prius..... but i wanted a cute fun little car that turns heads sodon't mind paying extra for that. this probably doesnt help you what so ever but it gives you the reason why i got mine :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your post mentioned residual values .... I was quite shocked that my Greyfather (!) 1.2 Glam list price almost £14k bought June 2013 16500 miles would trade in at around £8k. Fiat residuals are better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh and I get about 300 miles to a full tank of Unleaded. Rural country lanes and dual carriageways average 37 mpg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts