Adam Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aaaahhh im so stressed,,, my new Adam (6 months old) car broke down today on route to my daughters school,,, alarmsbeeping and warning lights flashing speed dropped from 60 to 5 mph and had no power I was so scared,,, Error Code 84 I limped it (5 MPH) to my work and called local Vauxhall who said drive to them which I have done and after 1.5 hours waiting in the showroomthey have now given me a courtesy car whilst they investigate the fault . I love myAdam which I purchased to be reliable and fault free. (Funnily my old Corsa I traded in was being pushed into a parking space by Vauxhall staff so I was right to get rid of that) xAnyone else had this problem if so what was it and did Vauxhall fix it etc??? Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow, that's horrible

Error code 84 simply means 'Engine Power Reduced', could be many reasons for it. It'll be interesting to hear the verdict from the dealer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yea sounds like a "get me home" mode

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah as said above the ECU defaults to "Limp Mode" or "Get home mode".Basically means the ECU has recognised a fault so has limited the engine power to reduce or stop any damage happening plus it also allows you to get somewhere safe rather than just leaving you stranded. Most likely a sensor problem or electrical issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have had a call from Vauxhall and been advised as follows: Car needed 2 ECM updates and they have recalibrated the throttle,,,Would that be the cause of my new car loosing power and speed today?So I am going to pick up my car later today,, I am very nervous I don't want to not trust my car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
so sounds like your throttle position sensor had an irregularity. The Throttle position sensor tells the ECM how far you have pushed the accelerator pedal so it knows how much fuel to inject and it should know a rough amount of air coming into the engine so there is a clean combustion. If the ECM detects any issues they usually reset to default values which might make the car run rough or the ECM will just put it into "limp mode". ECM's usually get updated each time you take them to a dealer anyway so I wouldnt worry about that, as for the throttle sensor again I wouldnt worry.. If the ECM registered it as a fault and it has now been reset and road tested I doubt there will be any issues again with it. If there is another problem it is a simple job to replace and will be under your warranty. Hope this all made sense, i tried to be as simple as possible incase you don't know much about cars!
Edited by: boothy90

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boothy90 - thank you, I know how to drive cars that's it lol but yes that explains it to mex

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a code 82 when it was 11 months old and on 11k miles. Was told if I didn't get it serviced straight away and before the 12 months then the warranty would be invalid. Presumably the next service warning will come on early losing 1 month per year is a bit pricey.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The majority of these error code faults happen when a sensor reports late or fails. This isn't a bad point, it just means that the car is dropping into limp mode because it cant be certain there isn't a fault.

If your dealer says it is fixed then it probably is fixed. If you continue to have problems, (highly unlikely) contact Vauxhall customer services and register the issue with them. Once you have allowed the dealer a reasonable amount of time to fix the problem, if it continues, you can write to Vauxhall and reject the car but you shouldn't have to worry about that. If you reject, Vauxhall should replace your car and handle the finance issues so there is no disruption to you.

As I say its probably a sensor so that entire top paragraph is most likely superfluous. Dont worry about it and if you have any worries feel free to call your dealer or even Vauxhall assistance who will be happy to help.

If it does happen again, don't drive it to the dealer in limp home mode, get it recovered. It is safer for you and safer for your Adam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts