Adam Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Adam Jam a few weeks ago and I am really so happy with it! But after I had plugged my I phone 5 in via USB a few times to charge and to use the BringGo App (working fine previously) a fault began to appear where the intellilink system will connect to my phone for only a couple seconds and then it would seize. This happens continuously unless I unplug my phone from the USB cable.
I'm planning on visiting my dealer to see if they can sort the issue, but was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing a similar/the same problem? And if there is a different solution to fix it.
Phoebe

·
Registered
36 Posts
I thought that intellilink can't connect to phone via Bluetooth while phone connected to intellilink via USB?

Unless I misunderstand your problem. Sorry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn't think you we're meant to connect the iPhone to the car using the USB link. Sure it's in the Intellilink info. I think the USB port is only for USB sticks etc or you can damage your Adam!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting, I've just checked the literature and it defo says don't use the USB for charging as it can overheat and damage the car. I don't think there is anyway to plug your iPhone into the USB port and prevent your phone charging! I use the power outlet to charge my iPhone.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Think it's the 12v ( cigarette lighter ) you can't use 🚬

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think that's right, the Intellilink info defo says don't use the USB for charging things. The 12v power source is meant to be used for charging items! It's a bit concerning if BringGo is being advertised so much by Vauxhall and the only way we can use it is to connect to the USB port which might in turn cause damage (if using an iPhone which is also automatically charging itself), wonder where we would stand on the warranty if the USB port did overheat?! I might be reading it all wrong, but that's my interpretation of their user instructions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The only way Intellilink can work with apps on an iPhone is through USB, so you don't get a choice about it charging. Compatible Android devices connect via Bluetooth but with iPhone, you're stuck with the USB, which is fine for charging (you need it to as an app like BringGo will drain the battery in no time otherwise!) but as I've mentioned elsewhere, it does restrict some of the Bluetooth functionality which is really frustrating.
I've not had the problem you mention Phoebe but mine does lose the Bluetooth connection from time to time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your input everyone. I didn't realise using the USB port connected to my iphone 5could damage the intellilink system/USB port, so I will ensure I use a 12v power source to charge my iphone in the future. This still doesn't solve my issue of losing the connection to my intellilink system via USB though. So I think I will contact my dealer to have a talk as we have established that you can only use the BringGo app via USB - But if it is causing potential damage then there has been some miscommunicationand perhaps false advertisement of the intellilink system somewhere along the lines.
Hopefully there is some kind of safe alternative to using BringGo through phone and via the intellilink system as it would be a shame to not be able to use this feature!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Phoebe, I honestly don't think it damages anything using the USB. I'm not sure where this has come from as I've never heard this before and can't find any information that says this anywhere. It's not just Bringgo that uses the USB interface, that's how all the apps work with iPhone. Just looked and in Vauxhall's own literature it says this: http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/Home/pdf/adam/IntelliLink-Quick-Start-Guide.pdf
Swifties, can you point us to anything different? I stand to be corrected!
Edited by: markamericana

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys. I have been scratching my head a bit on this as my interpretation of the information we have does say we need to use the USB to connect our iPhones to our Adams when using BringGo, however page 28 of the Infotainment user guide has a box with a caution in it saying the USB port should not be used for charging devices as it may overheat and cause damage to the system!!! The problem I see is that the iPhones start to charge when they connect to a USB port.

Based on this I was a little concerned that we are being given conflicting info and thought I'd check directly with General Motors head office to see what their advice is, particularly concerning our warranties should the Infotainment system be damaged by prolonged use of BringGo or similar by having to plug our IPhones into the USB ports! I've asked a specific question of them to ensure our warranties won't be affected by following the instructions given for using apps that need to be used via the USB port. I'll let you know their reply...which I will keep in my Adam folder in case of any future issues and warranty claims!

Mind you, it could be that I totally misinterpreted the caution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Swifties/Mark/everyone - Thanks for your advice/digging for more information! I think the manual states very conflicting information, so I'm grateful that you've been able to contact general motors. Hopefully we'll be able to shred some light on the issue! It is rather confusing after all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys, I've had an email back from Vauxhall from a Customer Service Manager. He confirmed that the warranty would not be affected by using the iPhone via the USB for apps. Although this does seem to contradict what the user guides say and so I'll print off and keep a copy of the reply as a part of my Adam documentation in the event of any issues! Happy to forward a copy on if someone wants to keep it safe also.

Now querying the speakers in the Jam with the Intellilink upgrade as all the info I've seen so far shows that all the Adam range gets 7 speakers with the Intellilink system. I appreciate that the Glam and Slam already have the 7 speakers however it doesn't state the Jam is still restricted to 5! I've asked to be pointed in the direction if their literature that shows this. I'll wait n see and update on here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think GM are just trying to cover themselves with what's been said re the USB port burn out in the user guide. But thanks for clarifying that it doesn't affect the warrenty. Surprisingly my Iphone 5 worked using the BringGo app via USB perfectly today. I have realised it only works (connects properly) if my phone is not connected to the intellilink via bluetooth before hand. So its a matter of connecting via USB first (for apps) and then via bluetooth afterwards to make use of the hands free calling etc.
I'm going to keep my eye on it though - Hopefully i've got it sussed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Phoebe did you find a solution?

I collected my ADAM this morning and mine is doing exactly the same, only connecting for a matter of seconds. Is it just an update for the intellilink that I need the garage to do?

Apart from that I love my new car!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
HiI have just purchased a vauxhall adam jam 1.4 after having 2 fiat 500 in the past.I had a problem with the Intellilink and Bringo with it just connecting for a few seconds and trying to charge my phone at the same time.
However I purchased a new original i phone 5 lead from Maplin at £20.00 and now it works perfectly.Try a new lead first may be lucky like me.
Audrey

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Pheobe, I can't seem to find anyone else that's having the same issues. Did you ever get to the bottom of your connection issue? I'm having problems with mine. Annoying when you have to pay out for a subscription on BringGo but then can't even use it!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My salesman told me that he's always plugged his phone in via the USB to use Google maps rather than BringGo.

I can't see them putting a function into a car knowing full well people will plug their phones in if it is going to damage the system? Surely they would have to make it very obvious not to do it to save people taking their cars back?

I would just use it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts