Adam Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn 17 my parents want me because I can basically drive want to instead spending months doing one or two lessons a week put me on an intensive driving course (think that's what it's called) where you spend a full week, around 6 hours a day driving around and learning then at the end of the week you sit your test saving time meaning me getting on the road a lot faster. But I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever done it this way before or know anyone who has ?

Also Price you paid and if your from Scotland central area who did you do it with ?

·
Registered
568 Posts
My best friend went on one but it got her overwhelmed. They are designed for those who already have driving knowledge and experience to kick start them into being able to pass their test. I just had several hours a week instead because I needed it all to sink in to my memory whereas my best friend on the course ended up doing weekly lessons as well. Cost £1000 in north east England

·
Registered
944 Posts
I think if you've got a bit of driving knowledge already then it might not be a bad idea. If you've no clue then can't be good. I learnt the "traditional" way in around 4/5 months so its not such a long process. I think the time spent on the road with an instructor can only be a good thing. No matter how good a driver you think you are nothing compares to the first time your on your own!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes Alex totally agree

·
Registered
469 Posts
To be honest I found it better on my own when I first went out in my old banger. I really enjoyed it, just drove up the road, around a round about, then back home, only out 2 mins.
For your first car though, I wouldnt be spending this sort of money, your better off buying a banger incase you have an accident, it would be heartbreaking if you had an accident, then had no car and still had to pay it off. I know your get insurance pay out, but it most probably wont be what you paid for the car, unless you spend the extra on GAP.
As for the intensive courses, down in the south east at Bluewater, Dave Miller does a little driving course for 15-16yr olds in a part of the car park, so you pay £20 for an hour, and an instructor takes you around the course practicing reverse parking, parallel parking and keeping control of the car. You dont go above 10mph though as the car park is only small they use, but its experience to be behind the wheel and clutch control and making sure you dont drive like skippy.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I can't remember the stat but theres an insanely high number of crashes for driver in their first year... I wouldn't want to be smashing up a new car!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wasn't a smash, but I had an accident within 5 months. Now nothing since for just under 5 years. Hence why I am confident in getting a new car...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Off topic ( sorry ), but looking at ADAM's on ebay and found a 63 reg on there for just under 5k, needs all the front replacing and side panels where its smashed up lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the reason my parents want to put me on an intensive driving course because I can drive and do drive but on private property where the public do not have access to and already know my theory. Driving side is fine for me. I know what everyone means about your first year is the year of accidents but I do keep my hopes up of getting an Adam doesn't half to be new and the way to try and look at it is take your time and be cautious. My only fear of not getting an Adam is getting rejected by the finance or insurance if that happens well just half to do what most people do buy a banger for the first year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boot_Fairy said:
Off topic ( sorry ), but looking at ADAM's on ebay and found a 63 reg on there for just under 5k, needs all the front replacing and side panels where its smashed up lol
Seen a few under salvage think it may have been a hire car as tourists do seen to try and destroy the cars when they visit here

Couple of weeks ago where I was working a hired 63 plate insignia with the enterprise sticker on the back went by and rattled the mirror off one of our works vehicles no mirror was left funny thing was they came back and lifted what was left of the mirrorEdited by: Vaux.1

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a look around seems a lot more people than I thought do it. Works out around £650 to £800 for a 1 week 30 hour course seems not too bad

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boot_Fairy said:
lol, you do get some people like that around, rare, but they do exist lol
Not a rare as you think I work around a city where in the summer is popular with tourists, cars are like kangaroos going up the hill with a barn of animals in the car after what I've seen avoid ex hire cars
Edited by: Vaux.1

·
Registered
46 Posts
A woman in my work is planning on the intense driving course and she has no experience of driving what so ever. Only thing you need to be careful of is some advertise it as 30 hours/1 week but some of them actually have 2 out at a time, like there's some in Scotland where you go out for an hour with someone else in the back and then they drive for an hour and then you again and so on... I was talking to my instructor about it and says its a common thing. But I do agree they can be good to pass quickly. Although I done mine the long way and passed in Jan and got a brand new Adam as my first car, so far no crashes, only a badly kerb'd wheel lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I would rather be on my own with the driving instructor find it a bit awkward with someone else you don't know seeing your mistakes but then I suppose you'd calm down. Lucky you getting one when first passing your test but that must have been your worst nightmare black alloys curbed

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah I thought it would be abit strange someone else in car with you who you don't
Know lol and then waiting on them too would be annoying.

Yeah pretty gutting looking and my wee Adam and his poor kerbed wheel and it's so obvious as my wheels are grey with the black clips :( will get them fixed when I stop driving straight in to the kerb to park lmao! My fiancé has gave up telling me off for it lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha I know friends who like to use curbs as guides my god don't know how they live with wheels like that

The thing with black wheels stands out even more on black bet every time you done it you dreaded him going near your car and noticing it

·
Registered
314 Posts
Oh no, I have black alloys coming soon... I will have to be careful.

I never did this intensive course. Here we call them 'crash courses'. My nan used to work for a driving school and answered the phone one day to someone enquiring about crash courses and she thought it was a prank call. I'm pretty sure she said something along the lines of 'any idiot can teach you to crash...' - Haha!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol such a good answer guessing who ever it was didn't book with them then

1 - 19 of 19 Posts