Adam Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I use Cruise control on my long journey, and it is convenient and relaxing drive. But does using Cruise Control decrease your average MPG?
In my experience, it feels like it hurts my average MPG by fair few percentages as Cruise Control accelerates and breaks to maintain speed.
What's your view?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've started using it recently and found it no better or worse, I'm still getting about 43-44mpg. I think you just have to make sure yyou're on a road with few stops and starts.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Cruise control is designed to reduce the natural acceleration and deceleration that us humans do when we are holding the accelerator for long periods of time. It still does the same acceleration and deceleration movements but less erratic, thus increasing mpg (in theory) haha

·
Registered
367 Posts
I know its worse in a automatic, as if your going down a hill it will drop down a gear to slow you down ect (i know were suppose to do this but i enjoy wearing out my brakes haha)

·
Registered
944 Posts
If you use it properly then it will improve mpg. It's not worth using when stopping all the time but great on a motorway.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ive found it worse on my car, as I get to a certain speed without it, take my foot off the pedal a little to bring the MPG usage down and keep a steady speed.
But as above, once its on, it stays steady, doesn't increase and doesn't decrease, and the MPG usage stays the same.
Edited by: Boot_Fairy

·
Registered
568 Posts
I took a trip to Dorset in my first car from Newcastle and cruise control would've been great then because I had my foot on the accelerator for ten solid hours! I couldn't walk for a few days after I got there because my ankle was so sore

·
Registered
206 Posts
yea I've been wondering this aswell, I tried to remember to fill up and use the cruise control for one fill up and then avoid using it, try and make the same sort of journeys and see if there is a noticeable difference

·
Registered
944 Posts
If you use cruise control for normal journeys it's pointless. It's only going to do anything when you can set it and leave. If your going to keep stopping its pointless.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have been using my CC, it seems to me that it increased my journey MPG. also my foot doesn't ache after a long journey.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cruise control will help fuel economy because when it is accelerating it is throwing throttle at the ECU and the computer is deciding the optimal amount of fuel to let into the combustion chamber. Doing it yourself will ninty-nine times out of ninty-eight result in too little fuel being offered so you slow down, then speed up, then slow down.

On the other hand the speed limiter function kills fuel economy because you are bouncing off the limiter all the time. That is to say it will bump off the set speed and drop down almost a mile an hour before surging back up to the limiter again. The limit function is best for average speed zones where variable traffic makes Cruise control a pain in the ass or for around town where you won't be giving it full beans anyways.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It should improve your mpg if you use it correctly as Alex said there's no point using it if your going to have to adjust your speed dramatically quite often it's just stupid! But say a motorway journey you'd be mad not too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts