Adam Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got my Adam 1.4 100hp and it seems to lack power. it feels like it is holding back when you put the accelerator to the floor and when sitting at traffic lights is feels like it is surging a bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its not so much that its lacking in power but the throttle response isnt great and a lot of that is due to the airbox design which is restricting the airflow. Whilst an induction kit sounds like it will be the cure, its not and may in fact reduce the torque low down. I did some testing a few weeks ago and the ITG competition air filter made the car a lot more livlier to drive and may cure the issue you are experiencing.
I can offer tuning on this model, but am located in Plymouth! I could though offer you an ITG filter for £40 including P&P as I have two sat on my desk!(sorry Admin, I haven't got around to setting a deal up yet and site sponsorship, but will do so ASAP!)
Either PM me or call on 01752 266566 if interested in the air filter

·
Registered
407 Posts
It will affect lifetime warranty unless it is vauxhall parts and fitted by a vauxhall dealer or they can prove what has been fitted in writing. It has to be Vauxhall parts. Best ask bbefore fitting anything

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tracey.A said:
It will affect lifetime warranty unless it is vauxhall parts and fitted by a vauxhall dealer or they can prove what has been fitted in writing. It has to be Vauxhall parts. Best ask bbefore fitting anything
Sorry, that isn't correct
Firstly, if the item in question is a servicable item, such as brake pads, air filter etc they are not covered by the warranty and therefore will not affect it. Having run a modification company for over 12 years now, its a question I have been asked daily. I have also done work not just for dealerships but also the manufacturers themselves.
Secondly, the common sense rule has to apply. If you fit non standard brake pads then go to the dealership complaining about the brake efficiency then you will not be covered for rectifying it for example, so you need to realise the obvious with upgrades.So..... to go more in depth for you....Block Exemption Regulations 1400/2002 (BER) which came into force in late 2003Means that motorists can use any garage of their choice to service their cars without invalidating the manufacturer's warranty, subject to:<ul style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;"><li id="n22">The service is carried out in accordance with the manufacturer's servicing schedules and is recorded as such<li id="n23">Any parts used are of ‘appropriate quality' and are recorded as such[/list]The Office of Fair Trading confirms that the new BER prohibits vehicle assemblers' warranties from including conditions requiring that:<ul style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;"><li id="n25">All normal maintenance be provided within the vehicle makers' network<li id="n26">All parts used must be the vehicle assembler's ‘original spare parts'[/list]Therefore Motorists and Garages are no longer forced to use parts supplied from the Vehicle Assembler in order to maintain the New Vehicle Warranty. There is a new definition of ‘original spare parts' and ‘matching quality parts' that is based on the quality of the component, and these parts may be used when servicing vehicles and purchased through the independent aftermarket.Which basically means you can have your car serviced where you like, by whom you like, using appropriate parts and not affect your warranty. Therefore if you wish to have non standard service items on your car you are entitled to as long as they are of appropriate quality. i.e. dont replace the air filter with a sock!
Hope that helps (if not you can try and read the whole of the BER Regulation and re-interprate it should you so wish!)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Alfanige said:
Tracey.A said:
Sorry, that isn't correct
Firstly, if the item in question is a servicable item, such as brake pads, air filter etc they are not covered by the warranty and therefore will not affect it. Having run a modification company for over 12 years now, its a question I have been asked daily. I have also done work not just for dealerships but also the manufacturers themselves.
Secondly, the common sense rule has to apply. If you fit non standard brake pads then go to the dealership complaining about the brake efficiency then you will not be covered for rectifying it for example, so you need to realise the obvious with upgrades.<p id="n19" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">So..... to go more in depth for you....<p id="n19" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">Block Exemption Regulations 1400/2002 (BER) which came into force in late 2003<p id="n20" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">Means that motorists can use any garage of their choice to service their cars without invalidating the manufacturer's warranty, subject to:<ul style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;"><li id="n22">The service is carried out in accordance with the manufacturer's servicing schedules and is recorded as such<li id="n23">Any parts used are of ‘appropriate quality' and are recorded as such[/list]<p id="n24" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">The Office of Fair Trading confirms that the new BER prohibits vehicle assemblers' warranties from including conditions requiring that:<ul style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;"><li id="n25">All normal maintenance be provided within the vehicle makers' network<li id="n26">All parts used must be the vehicle assembler's ‘original spare parts'[/list]<p id="n27" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">Therefore Motorists and Garages are no longer forced to use parts supplied from the Vehicle Assembler in order to maintain the New Vehicle Warranty. There is a new definition of ‘original spare parts' and ‘matching quality parts' that is based on the quality of the component, and these parts may be used when servicing vehicles and purchased through the independent aftermarket.Which basically means you can have your car serviced where you like, by whom you like, using appropriate parts and not affect your warranty. Therefore if you wish to have non standard service items on your car you are entitled to as long as they are of appropriate quality. i.e. dont replace the air filter with a sock!
Hope that helps (if not you can try and read the whole of the BER Regulation and re-interprate it should you so wish!)
while I pretty much agree with what you have said the problem is that companies will do anything to avoid paying out a warranty claim and modifying an essentially new car will only give them ammunition to refuse a claim. If you wanted a faster car perhaps it would have been better to buy one in the first place. That said a small car with 100bhp engine shouldn't be that bad. We have the lower bhp 1.4 engine in our adam and it seem adequate all though not in the sports car bracket of performance. Maybe worth a trip to main dealers for them to check it. I suppose in the case of an air filter swap you could always swap it back before going to dealers to keep them sweet.

·
Registered
407 Posts
No need to be like that with me! I just said best to ask 1st

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tracey.A said:
No need to be like that with me! I just said best to ask 1st
It was difficult to word correctly that what you said wasn't correct, I tried to do it as pleasantly as possible without causing offence, as none was intended, hence my "Sorry" at the beginning.
You don't have to ask the dealership as they wont know most of the details and they of course want to sell you their product so they will always say it will invalidate your warranty whatever you ask. However, legally, it won't. I've been doing this kind of stuff for years and have come across this daily.
So no offence to you Tracey, none was intended

·
Registered
206 Posts
but my understanding on this is. the garage were you take your car to as to be vat reg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi allI have exactly the same issue with mine!I am currentlyin conversation with my dealers ,I had taken a 1.4 100 bhp slam our fro a tset drive and the response it miles better than my engine.I have a glam 1.4 100 bhp engine.My point is I paid for the engine so i expect that performance.
Watch this space.I have been offered a chip to improve performance which i have told them to shove ,as i am not jeopardising my warranty over something i should already have !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine's the same. Definite lack of response mostly noticeable when you're accelerating in 3rd.Feels slower off the mark at traffic lights too than my old Ka.The engine sounds like its working harder than it should when stationary too although the rev counter doesnt reflect that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi guys

On this post regarding the warranty being affected, I would say that as a self employed mechanic and NOT vat registered.... I can still carry out service work and indeed have a good relationship with my local dealerships....Furthermore, you do not even need a mechanic as lawfully(not to be confused with legally) any parts must be installed by "competent person or persons"

Hope this eases your concerns

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry about typos.... im terrible at typing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts