Adam Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you may remember me posting a little while ago asking if any others were having any problems with their gears, especially first and second gear.
Well, I'm off this week so finally got around to booking my ADAM in at Vauxhall for them to take a look.
I got a phone call from them saying they had found something wrong, which I was happy with as they were confirming the issue I was having, then Vauxhall said I will need to bring my car back in a couple of weeks for the gearbox to be taken apart to be fixed, unless Vauxhall just give me a new one, but dealer said they are not sure what road Vauxhall want to go down at the moment with this.

I am gutted as I am very OCD with my ADAM and hate the idea of her being sat in the corner of some garage collecting dust and no doubt some scrapes and dents, not to mention if they decide to wash the car, as again from the very start when I first collected my ADAM I made sure it wasn't going to get scratched by the cheap and rubbish valeters!

They will be giving me a hire car all the while I will be without my ADAM so isn't all bad I guess, think I'm getting a Corsa...
Can't believe this as my car hasn't even covered 4000 miles since I got her January this year! But I've had this problem right from the very start so much have been a faulty part or something.

What are people's thoughts on this madness lol?
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
316 Posts
What was the problem with your 1st and 2nd gears?

I find with my Adam that it does not want to go into 1st gear until I am basically at a stop, not sure if it's just to do with it all being eco friendly etc.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah mines the same, and at times I am really forcing it into the gears which isn't right. Vauxhall have agreed there is a problem. Dropped it off with them today actually. Not sure what's wrong with it till they take the gearbox apart!!! Hopefully they will ring me Monday/Tuesday once they have had a look and investigated.

Now I have a courtesy car from them, a Corsa which obviously has a working gearbox, but I'm so use to driving my ADAM with a rubbish one lol and forget the Corsa's is in perfectly working order. They are really nice to drive too, but big compared to our tiny ADAM's!

Might be worth arranging to pop into your local dealer. Maybe this is like a common fault in some of the ADAM's if your struggling too?
Will let you know what the turn out is, I am nervous and can't bare being without my ADAM, trying not to think about it!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Cool. Would be good to find out what problem you have with yours.

Does the corsa- your courtesy car go into 1st and 2nd gear all ok, Suppose it depends what reg it is.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a phone call from Vauxhall on Monday. Synchromesh needs replacing so they have ordered one all the way from Germany! Hopefully that will sort the issue. Am expecting they should get the part Mon/Tues, then they will try it out and see if that has sorted the problem.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thats good they found out what the problem is, not heard of it before.
Is this a common problem that they have?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealership haven't had an ADAM come back yet with this problem.
First, second and reverse work perfectly now, however they have screwed up third and forth, so they have asked Vauxhall what to do next so just waiting to her back from them now, no doubt my ADAM will have to go in again! It's crazy!

The courtesy car they gave me, someone hit it when it was parked outside my house, so I have had to pay excess on that even though it wasn't my fault? The dealership weren't going to give me my keys unless I paid up, so I have been complaining to a lot of different people about this problem and won't be buying a Vauxhall again!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Glad to hear that they partly fixed your problem.

Do you go to a proper Vauxhall dealership? I think all the dealerships are different, some are really friendly and some are quite horrible and you know which those are as you try to avoid going to them. The dealership I go too are so helpful and friendly, I can't think of anything bad to say about them.

Have you thought about going to a different dealership or one that is connect to Vauxhall?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's is a Vauxhall dealership, crap one too!
It's going back in for its forth time Wednesday for another new synchromesh for third and forth this time.
It's crazy!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep we have said this when they messed it up for the second time with third and forth gear but Vauxhall have only given permission for them to fix the gearbox and not replace it! I'm sure it will go back when they then probably mess up fifth as well! Really want to give the car back and go elsewhere but don't think I can...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree, they should have just replaced the whole thing at the beginning or test drove it a few times to make sure it was all working correctly.

Could you try going to another Vauxhall dealership, or would this be to far away for you?

I don't think I want to find out if mine has this problem now, my dad did give me a tip to see if it was the synchromesh that was wrong which I have tried but not sure if it worked or not.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The dealership haven't had an ADAM come back yet with this problem.
First, second and reverse work perfectly now, however they have screwed up third and forth, so they have asked Vauxhall what to do next so just waiting to her back from them now, no doubt my ADAM will have to go in again! It's crazy!

The courtesy car they gave me, someone hit it when it was parked outside my house, so I have had to pay excess on that even though it wasn't my fault? The dealership weren't going to give me my keys unless I paid up, so I have been complaining to a lot of different people about this problem and won't be buying a Vauxhall again!
I would be gutted about that - what did you sign when you took on the courtesy car? Any details about terms and excesses in there?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I signed a form and they did make me aware of the excess but I've never had an accident before so thought nothing of it. Then someone decided to do a hit and run on the courtesy car whilst it was parked outside my house, leaving me to pay out £250 excess for something which wasn't even my fault!
I can understand that bit, but had my ADAM been built properly in the first place, I wouldn't have needed to get it fix and they would never have given me that courtesy car for someone to hit!

I picked it up today again from dealership for them trying to resolve third and forth which they ruined, third is still not the same but better, forth is no good and struggles to go in. We said to them all along about having a new gearbox, one of the staff there said Vauxhall might just replace the whole gearbox which would have been easier, but instead Vauxhall only gave the dealership to replace synchromeshes which are still not working!!!

Have been back on the phone tonight to Vauxhall "Customer Don't Care" lol, complaining again about my case, they said they will be in touch and get it fixed this time, shame they didn't think of that 2 times ago!

Total madness for a brand new car that hasn't even touched 4000 miles! Never buying another Vauxhall and I am not a happy Vauxhall owner, feel ashamed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi moving away from Vauxhall won't stop you having problems with a band new car. Admittedly it may fix the farcical problems you've had with putting it right though. My wife bought a new £53k Mercedes back about two years ago. She picked it up on the Friday. We drove to Bristol on the Saturday and on the way back the engine started knocking. We called to Mercedes on the way home but the service centre was closed. They said it's probably just a loose engine cover. I told them I'm no mechanic but that's no engine cover. They said they can't do it Monday so booked it in on Tuesday. The car was on the ramp ticking over with a guy underneath listening to see where the noise was coming from when there was an almighty bang and a bolt shot straight past the guys head. The mechanic said if that had happened when the car was being driven the wheels would have locked and it would have skidded to a stop. Less than thirty miles earlier we were on the motorway with the roof off. By now the car was 4 days old and had less than 200 miles on it. They basically gave us three options. Give the car back and walk away. They would replace the engine which would mean the numbers on the car wouldn't match or they could order another one. As we wanted that type of car we decided to have a new one. They put us on the list again and said see you in six months. I phone Mercedes head office and said this isn't my problem I'm not waiting six months for a new one. Basically they said you are if you want another one. And to say sorry here is a voucher to spend in Mercedes for £250. I replied £250 for potential killing me and my family your having a laugh keep it. They didn't want to know. The dealership on the other hand were fab. They lent us a car for six months for free including insurance and when the new car turned up they had added another £1000 worth of extras. Just goes to show if your at the right dealership it will make a big difference. Don't get disheartened with the situation I'm sure it will be fine in the end.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.