Adam Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.
should i be concerned or worried at all that there is no spare tyre? i think im being such a girl with saying this so can anyone put my mind at rest. it will b ok wont it? thanks everyone xx

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi There
Had this discussion with a rep.
No room for a spare but the gel that they provide is simple to use and effective.
It expires after around 7 years I believe so just need to remember to replace.
Will know more once Iactually collect my Adam later this week.
All the best

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
It's a tricky one this but more and more cars are coming without spares which leads me to believe we either have fewer punctures now than we used to or like Jack says above the gunk they give you is as good as you need.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

The reason that there's no spare tyre is not only for weight and cost saving, but it's also a lot safer and easier at the side of the road. I had a flat tyre on my cosa, and the kit reinflated it within a minute or two, and made it down to the garage. You don't always need the gel, and luckily I didn't use it as apparently there was nothing wrong with the tyre :/

I would take the inflation kit over the spare tyre every day of the week.

Be careful though, once you goo up the tyres they can't be repaired, so always try and pump it up first without.Edited by: ahands

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank u for yr reply it was v interesting to read. have now decided not to worry and hve aa cover included anyway so will call the 5th emergency service if i need to.... but fingers crossed i never will!! :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Iv had a spear tyre it was an extra. The tyre is kept underneath the car so it doesnt take boot space up

·
Registered
41 Posts
the tyre's cannot be repaired after you have used the gunk to repair a puncture. The trend was a few years ago to supply this gunk instead of a spare wheel but in recent years the trend has reversed as the suitability of the gunk is questionable. Car manufacturers are still supplying it when space is a premium the other reason apart from cost is that the car will give slightly better fuel economy figures if no spare is supplied due to the lower weight. I have had personal experience with this when i once had a puncture, the bottle of gunk was useless as the tyre had shredded. The AA would only send out a tyre supplier to fit a tyre at the side of the road and would not recover my car so that I could sort the tyre out later at my preferred tyre dealer. Obviously being stuck on the side of the road means your going to be charged quite a lot of money for a tyre of inferior quality to that you would get by shopping around. Personally I would not be without a spare due to the bad experience I once had. Our adam was an ex demo car and did not come with a spare wheel but its on my list of things to get. I would like to know a few things if someone out there can help me?1 - How is the tyre secured underneath the adam? Is there a locking bolt holding the space saver in place? and2 - does anyone know if the space saver on the adam is the same as that supplied with any other Vauxhall as I may be able to pick one up from the breakers yard rather that fork out £250 for a new one from the dealers. Is it possible that the spare on the adam is the same as one supplied in a corsa?

·
Registered
407 Posts
There is a bolt and something u turn and the tyre drops down. Also the spear cost alot less than £250. Cost me £70

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes they are cheaper if you buy them when you order the car. Afterwards they are around £250. So there is no security with these spare wheels you just turn this thing and the tyre drops down? I'd be a bit worried about it being under the car with no security, I've known people have spare tyres stolen, in fact I think there was something on watchdog do a few years ago about this. It might be worth checking with the dealer to see if there are any security options for it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You cant steal it from under the car it is secure. You cant see it and nobody knows its there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's good news that they're not visible as previously worked in a fleet department running a fleet of combo vans and zafira we were forever having to replace spare wheels after they'd been nicked aa they were visible and easy to pinch alot guys wouldn't know they'd been nicked as the theifs would put the cage back in place

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sadly I don't think its going to stop spare wheels getting stolen. Any body in the know and wanting a spare is going to know where to look. Vauxhall should be providing a security device.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've paid extra to have a spare tyre fitted as it was in the options list when ordering my Adam, peace of mind to know I can change it if needed, or at least the AA man can!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts