Adam Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've had our Adam about a week, and I wanted to ask the question regarding the Oil Life percentage indicator on the dash. (Under vehicle settings when you scroll through the on board computer)

We're already on 98%, and that's dropped in about 300 miles. At this rate i'll be needing an oil change and filter in no time (Before my one year service anyway) - What is everyoneelse'son?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mine's at 76% today, I haven't done 2000 miles yet (about 1800 done now) I've had my Adam since the 21st March. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it reaches 0 you need an oil change and filter! Which I think isridiculous, you don't need an oil change in less than a year when your doing low miles.
Gillsid did you take a service plan? We didn't, and i'm wondering whether it would have covered the oil changes in between the car being serviced - I doubt it though as they never mentioned it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
No I didn't take the service plan either, so not sure about coverage.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Do you think as the engine wears in the oil usage will stabilise a bit?
But - and maths is not my strong point here - 300 miles and a drop of 2% = 150 miles per %. So times that by 100 and you'd get 15,000 miles. Which would sound about right for an oil change.*
*assuming I've calculated that correctly...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I worked that out roughly however Gillsid is at 76% already which suggests its drops more than 1% every 150 miles. Perhaps it levels out more after the engine has run in. Shall be. Keeping a close eye on it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It makes me wonder if when the oil life gets to 0% we would be voiding our warranty if we don't get it done until the 12 month service? I'm definately going to keep an eye on this. Wonder what % everyone else is at?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Accurate mileage is 1989 now and % indicator at 76%, if it carries on I'll only get 8000 miles befire an oil change is needed

·
Registered
206 Posts
Working in the motor trade i think the oil should be changed evey 6000 anyway these corsa/adam engines are renound for timing chain rattles and cases of black death (carbon build up in oil) which cloggs the oilways up even when they have long life oil in them so iwill be doing mine every 6000 miles cause a oil and filter change is cheaper and better than a rattling engine

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's accessible on my Glam through the menus on the left indicator stick, but it's really difficult to explain. It is covered in your manual though

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Press the menu button on your indicator stalk till you highlight the car symbol, then use the wheel at the end of the stalk to scroll through till you find oil life percentage. This maybe onlyavailableon the Eco model as I think we have a more advanced display.
I kind of agree, and oil change every 6000 can't be bad for the car, but I just find it a bit excessive these days since BMW's now have a 2 year or 19,000 mile servicing interval. I just don't want to be spending £100 every 6,000 or so for an oil change when inrealityit probably doesn't need it.
And yes I agree with you Gillsid, I suspect if we don't have it done they won't cover the lifetime warranty. I suspect that's where they're clawing their money back from the servicing :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
YOu can reset the oil life indicator by the way. mine went down to 98% after 400 miles and i was playing around with it. I held down the mileage reset button in the petrol station forgetting i wasn't on the trip clock and the oil percentage reset!!!!!

try it for yourself. might work?? or mine is broken? probably the 2nd option......................... :S

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think the idea is you can easily reset it yourself when you've had the oil changed, but maybe that does mean it won't complicate the warranty issue- it is more than likely a guide for us as we can reset it ourselves

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I highly suspect that if you've reset the oil indicator and not had the oil changed and something crops up to do with your warranty they won't repair if free of charge.
I suspect the oil changes is where they're probably racking back the lifetime warranty costs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Our is dropping about 1% every 100 miles at the minute. 77% already, sounds excessive. I'd be interested to hear what vauxhall says about this, I don't see why you need to change the oil so regularly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mine was at 48% after 2500 miles. I think it could be related to the age of the oil as well as the miles it has covered. I generally change the oil every 6 months and filter once a year

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ide Just top up the oil to be honest.
If you want an oil and filter change at the same time, then its up to you, but Peronsally ide just top the oil up and wait for the service and get it done then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts