Adam Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to planning your weekend away, many of us stick to good old-fashioned map reading to reach our destination. But, according to a recent survey, more and more motorists are opting for the automated voice.
The survey, published by The Department of Transport's National Travel, has revealed some eyebrow-raising statistics over motorists' dependency on satellite navigation systems in Britain.
According to the annual survey, 52 per cent of British motorists now depend onsatellite navigation, signalling the beginning of the end for the trusty road atlas. To put this steep rise in perspective, as recently as 2013 'only' 48 per cent of vehicles (excluding HGVs) relied on satellite navigation, with as little as 33 per cent in 2009.
Do you prefer to use the in car Sat Nav or do you still get the road map out?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I go on google maps and plan my route and print it off. I then set my sat nav up when I'm doing my journey. I have my satnav just in case there's traffic and I can put to avoid the road and find a better route. So I don't use a map as such... But in a way I do both

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a relatively good memory, so I can normally look up where I'm going and asking as I know the last bit I can use the road signs to get where I need to go...

I went to Stratford from Witham (Essex) most of the route is straightforward down the a12 and then it's just the bit on the way back where you've got lanes going through lanes and islands all over the place that I used street view so I can get a "drivers eye" view so can imagine what the road layout is like something that sat navs may confuse or birdseye maps not be detailed enough for

·
Registered
316 Posts
If I am going somewhere for the first time, I look it up on google maps and either print it off or remember it depending on the distance and if that does not work, then I just ask my dad as he know how to get to most places. :)

I did get a satnav for xmas last year, but I have not used it at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.