Adam Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vauxhall has withdrawn its lifetime warranty cover for new cars, citing changing buyer patterns for the warranty package downgrade.

From January 2015, buyers of new Vauxhalls will receive a three year, 60,000 mile warranty pack in place of the current lifetime/100,000 mile scheme.
Vauxhall Chairman and MD Tim Tozer said the firm's made the switch because so many retail customers are choosing to buy on PCP. “In today's market, 65% of retail sales are supported by a finance package and within that, over 60% are PCPs.
“This has dramatically changed ownership patterns resulting in fewer customers retaining their cars beyond three years.”
According to Tozer, it thus “no longer makes business sense to invest in 100,000 mile warranty cover.” Instead, Vauxhall will offer cost-effective extension for four and five years.
Vauxhall launched the lifetime warranty scheme in August 2010, with then-MD Duncan Aldred saying: “We have confidence in the quality of our products and we want our customers to benefit from that confidence too.”
At the time, the 100,000-mile restriction did raise eyebrows as to how ‘lifetime' it actually was. The warranty also wasn't transferrable – subsequent owners received a three year, 60,000 mile equivalent – and it also required owners to stick with Vauxhall main dealers for routine maintenance.
Vauxhalls downgrade means Kia once again claims the honour of having the longest new car warranty in the UK, with its seven year/100,000 mile package.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would assume that vehicles ordered before the deadline get the Lifetime warranty. It was always the case that the offers at the time of deposit not collection were the ones available when i was selling them.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Was at Vauxhall today speccing my new GTC. Was going to be next month but getting it early so I can get the warranty still.

·
Registered
114 Posts
According to Tim Tozer the change will happen in Jan 2015. That means any vehicle definately delivered, probably ordered before new years eve will get the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
nsmith1180 said:
According to Tim Tozer the change will happen in Jan 2015. That means any vehicle definately delivered, probably ordered before new years eve will get the lifetime warranty.
I spoke to Vauxhall Customer Services - it is any car delivered from 01 Jan 2015 that will not have the lifetime warranty. My car is due to arrive in December after we ordered it in August... Our main reason for sticking with vauxhall was the 5 year warranty so if our car is delayed to January I will refuse to collect it.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That can't be right though can it? Because you're not getting what you ordered! Surely it should only apply to orders after that date!

·
Registered
944 Posts
I think if your delayed after the cut off date it'll be fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well thats what I thought and I said to customer services that it's due in december but what happens if it gets delayed - and to quote customer services "Any Vehicle registered from Jan 2015 will not have the 5 year lifetime warranty"

·
Registered
944 Posts
See what happens. I doubt they'd want to lose a sale on a custom car for a warranty issue though.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I just contacted customer services - "all passenger vehicles registered after 1 January 2015 will not be eligible for the Vauxhall Lifetime Warranty."
I wouldn't be best pleased if my car was due mid to late December, and for some reason it was delayed until January.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It would be fair and good for customer relations if vauxhall hounered all orders thatwere placed before they publicly announced the fact they were ditchnig the lifetimewarranty. My tracker still says December 5th so I have my fingers, toesand everything else crossed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought my Adam 'second hand', It was first registered January 2014. A customer originally bought it and returned it to the dealer as he 'didn't like the colour' anyways, the dealer then used it as a demo car. Then i bought it, but I'm sure he mentioned that it came with three years warranty, is this correct or should it be lifetime warranty?He said if the car was first redisteredas demo car then it would come with lifetime warranty like all there other demo cars.Anyone shed any light? Or shall I just ring the dealer? (Really don't want to do that, as their customer service was shocking the last time I dealt with them, but I will if i have to)

</font><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

</font>
Edited by: Natasha

·
Registered
944 Posts
How many miles was on it when you bought it?

Mine was a pre reg so the dealer was the first keeper. It also only had a few miles on it. I think I read that if its got under 100 miles on it and dealer registered it then you get the warranty. If yours was registered to a buyer then not sure you'll get the warranty. I'd definitely call Vauxhall to make sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Natasha said:
I bought my Adam 'second hand', It was first registered January 2014. A customer originally bought it and returned it to the dealer as he 'didn't like the colour' anyways, the dealer then used it as a demo car. Then i bought it, but I'm sure he mentioned that it came with three years warranty, is this correct or should it be lifetime warranty?He said if the car was first redisteredas demo car then it would come with lifetime warranty like all there other demo cars.Anyone shed any light? Or shall I just ring the dealer? (Really don't want to do that, as their customer service was shocking the last time I dealt with them, but I will if i have to)

</font><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

</font>
I am sure the lifetime warranty is only for the first registered keeper - so it is not transferable if you sell the car.However - there should be some sort of warranty on your car if you boight it from the dealer.. the obivous things like body corrosion warranty still apply i believe. I've never had a problem ringing the customer services...i'd rather ring them than my dealer as I think my dealership is useless! The other thing you could do is tweet the customer services on twitter, they are really helpful and have helped me quite a few times!

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Natasha said:

</font>

</font>
Sorry but you don't get the lifetime warranty -The warranty is valid for the first registered owner of the vehicle who bought the vehicle at a Vauxhall Authorised Retailer.
The full terms are here:http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/owners_services/warranty_assistance/warranty/lifetime_warranty_terms.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Alex - it had just over 2000, and I think it was registered to the customer so I don't think I'll get it, never mind.

Thanks Alex, Boothy and Dan for your replies! :)

So i guess I do just have the warranty from the dealer then, they said it was three years from when it was registered (so I've got about 2 years, 2 months left) but is this warranty from my actual dealer? Because if so would I have to go back to that specific dealer to get my service done?

I may end up ringing their customer service department, just as I briefly mentioned I didnt have a good experience from them last time (didn't return my calls, forgot to include my free mats and full tank of petrol, then tried telling me I'd have to drive the 80 mile trip to get the fuel and yeah they were just not very helpful, which is why I didn't want to service my car through them)

I know I've just said it, but thanks for the help and advice guys. I really do appreciate it :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just found out if I had continued with the purchase of my ADAM, then I wouldn't have got mint until Jan 15, so means I wouldn't have got the lifetime warranty.
Glad I chose something else now lol. Even though I cancelled my order over 3 weeks ago, I'm still getting updates lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts